Sunday, October 4, 2009

A week of cooking

It's been a busy week in the Glutton household - I've been working like a trojan and GB is winding down in preparation for starting his new job. Weekday dinners have mostly been quick, post-work recipes - tried and trusted and ones I don't need to look at a recipe book for. On Saturday I wanted to make a nice dinner for GB and I, so made the first thing ever from Arabesque - a lamb tagine with pears. I have to say, I was slightly disappointed - thin sauce (made only from water), a bit grey looking. I guess lamb and onions are not really going to be especially vibrant. It tasted lovely, served with lemony couscous, so all wasn't wasted. I spent some very enjoyable time planning the meals for the week after next- I get shopping delivered as neither of us drive so I plan a week in advance. Ottolenghi is getting a fair few outings and I'm very much looking forward to chicken with sumac and za'tar. I absolutely love sumac, which I have in stock thanks to a recent trip to Damas Gate in Sheps Bush. I'm off work that week so plan another jaunt over there to buy Mograbia (fat couscous) and some za'tar, and maybe even treat myself to some lovely baklava - I particularly like the little semolina cakes and the filo diamonds too. Yum yum.
Next week is shaping up to be a bitch of a week, so have planned some quick meals - stir fries etc, which I can sling together when I get in exhausted. The most exciting thing though is that on Wednesday I am taking Glutton Boy to Le Gavroche to celebrate our third wedding anniversary. I don' know how long it'll last but we do something nice every year - first was a weekend in Whitstable and last year GB took me to Lille for a long weekend. And talking of Lille, GB thinks he has won a day trip for two, which we'll take before Christmas and stock up on some lovely food from the delis, cake shops and even the Carrefour. Just as well as I have just run out of Mont Blanc Creme au Caramel.

I can't wait for my week off - I want to cook up a storm and also bake some sourdough and get loads of things done for LAdy Cupcake - my fledgling cake business.

Anyway, ratatouille beckons (work lunches) and I'm also making toad in the hole for dinner. Hurrah for Autumn.

Lots of love

GG

No comments:

Post a Comment