Sunday, October 11, 2009

The beauty of London

I'll make this quick as I am in an internet cafe being slowly edged out by some french students. Funny, it's normally the french being taken over. Anyhoo.

So, sometimes I get fed up of London. Of the noise, the vastness, the expense, the madness and the sheer bloody effort it takes to live here. And then I have days like today. I schlepped to Stamford Hill to buy a bat mizvah card for my niece. To my enormous annoyance, all shops shut, so I walked down to Stoke Newington, more as an excuse to have something to do.

I have a love of Turkish/Greek/Iranian/Moroccan type food that knows no bounds (excuse the digression, will make sense). One of the reasons I love Camberwell so much is a shop called the Oli Centre, a 24-hour Turkish supermarket and Persepolis - a Persian shop in Peckham. So I popped into one of the many Turkish shops in Stokey and picked up some great herbs (to make my own Za'tar spice mix), some feta and some baklava. Lovely herbs too, but there was only so much I could carry. Then, a little more of a walk to pick up a bagel or too and I was on my way home. Partly cross at that stupidly I've been going to Damas Gate in Sheps Bush for supplies, when I could have gone to Persepolis or even made the trip north of the river, but it's the infinite choice I love. Any given day of the week, if I want to stock up on Japanese ingredients, Moroccan spices, the Jewish food of my roots - I'm only an hour away from the source, with shops usually full of people willing to give me some advice on what to choose.

Tonight I'm making my first foray into Ottolenghi, with chicken with sumac and za'tar and a salad of couscous and megrabiah - although I couldn't get megrabiah and have had to settle for another type of couscous that is about mid way between the two in terms of size. And oven-roasted tomatoes, which I love. And I'll be making my lunches for the week so I don't end up eating crap baguettes.

Les Francaises have finished looking at Michael Jackson online (il est mort encore, people) and I'm going to go to - will blog on dinner tonight. Maybe even pics! Ooh, too exciting I know.

Lots of love.

GluttonGirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment